2022 | FACTBOOK 21
The second — and more plausible — theory, is that the
town was named after Willis Cobb’s wife, Mary.
Incorporated in 1838, Powder Springs was originally called
Springsville. Early settlers to the area came in the hopes of
finding gold but found little in the surrounding hills. The
name was changed in 1859 to Powder Springs after the seven
springs located throughout the city that are enriched with
minerals, turning the sand and soil black like gunpowder.
The original Smyrna was a church founded by the apostle
Paul located in what is now Turkey.
Area churches began to use the Biblical term to refer to
their new surroundings, and the Methodists’ gathering place
became known as the Smyrna Camp Ground.
Smyrna is also known as “the Jonquil City” after the yellow
flowers that bloom there in the spring. According to the
Smyrna Historical Society, the first jonquils were brought to
Smyrna by Samuel Taylor in 1883.
The unincorporated area now known as Cumberland was
once best known as the home of Camp Ben Adams, a Boy
The development of Cumberland Mall in 1973, which was
at the time Georgia’s largest enclosed regional mall, sparked
the area’s change into an economic powerhouse. Cumberland
is home to the Cobb Galleria Centre, the Cobb Energy
Performing Arts Centre, Truist Park and The Battery Atlanta.
The Cumberland Community Improvement District, a tax
district that invests in the area’s infrastructure and beautification,
is the largest of Cobb’s three CIDs.
East Cobb is an affluent unincorporated suburb located in
the eastern part of Cobb County. Many of its locations were
peopled by settlers since the county’s early incorporation.
Mount Bethel United Methodist Church got its start in